Friday, December 5, 2008

Animus Caduceus 1




ANIMUS CADUCEUS 1
I found the approximately 6' tall turned wood post that forms the base for this collage in the basement of a house I lived in in Massachusetts. My landlady called and said she was having someone come in to clean out the basement and we should take anything we valued -- what a find!

It was the first large, serious piece of work I undertook, and it still has a special meaning for me. Half of each face is golden, a god -- and there are people throughout our lives that we project that golden face onto. The secret is to know that each person we encounter carries a god, even the most unlikely and unlikeable ones. That takes the pressure off the ones who blind us so much with their golden brilliance that -- for a while, anyway -- we can't see any human failings in them. Who can live up to that?